Monday, September 15, 2008

Easy Day: Monday, Sept 15

Clean & Press: 5 ladders, 3 rungs 32kg
To make things more interesting I used a countdown-timer to try and beat last Mondays times for of the the first four ladders. Since I only performed 4 ladders last week I used today's 4th ladder as the time to beat for my 5th. (sample video of a 3-rung Clean & Press ladder) .










Time to beatTimeHeart RateSample video:
2'07" 1'25" n/a
3-rung C&P Ladder with High Pulls
1'44" 1'13" 161 bpm
1'20" 1'10" 164 bpm
1'15" 1'00" 167 bpm
1'00" 0'57" 170 bpm



Note: It is much easier to perform each press as a sort of rebound from each clean. The longer I hold the Kettlebell in the rack/clean position the harder it is to press.



Snatches: 9 minutes 24kg. Today called for snatches performed at 50% of my all out pace of 30 reps a minute.My Goal = 8 left, 8 right in 30 seconds, 30 seconds rest each minute.











Time RepsHeart RateSample video:
0'00"-0'30" seconds8 left / 8 right 148 bpm

24kg Snatches. 10L/10R.
1'00"-1'30" seconds8 left / 8 right 164 bpm
2'00"-2'30" seconds8 left / 8 right 167 bpm
3'00"-3'30" seconds8 left / 8 right 170 bpm
4'00"-4'30" seconds8 left / 8 right 171 bpm
5'00"-5'30" seconds8 left / 8 right 173 bpm
6'00"-6'30" seconds8 left / 8 right 174 bpm
7'00"-7'30" seconds8 left / 8 right 176 bpm
8'00"-8'30" seconds8 left / 8 right 176 bpm


I was able to finish all sets right at 30 seconds for each minute.
Despite having not taken care of my calluses for over a week my hands did not even come close to tearing. I attribute this to improved technique that uses more hip drive and therefore requires less pulling from my working arm. I use a pressurization/grunt at the bottom of the snatch as I explode upward, the kettlebell "floats" upward to about chest level before I need to give it a slight pull overhead.


Stats
Total Duration of Workout: 22'36"
Total work time (excluding rest periods): 10'15"
Total calories burned: 264 calories

2 comments:

Sandy Sommer, RKC said...

Love your blog. Not sure if I understand the "Time to beat" thing. Could you please clarify?

John Scott Stevens, RKC said...

I recorded the amount of time it took me to complete each ladder in the previous week. I try to condense my workouts by completing each ladder faster than in the previous week. This is very similar to EDT and to Pavel's new RTK program design. It was just a way to compete against myself and add an element of "fun". Instead of recording the time to complete each ladder I recommend simply recording the time it takes to complete all the ladders in your workout.

Did you Know?

Head strength coaches for Cincinnati Bengals and Washington Redskins have taken and passed the RKC.

World Power Lifting Champion Donnie Thompson is an RKC.

World renown physical therapist and creator of the Function Movement Screen, Gray Cook is an RKC.

Strength and Conditioning Coach for the Danish Olympic Team, Kenneth Jay is a Master RKC.

Olympic Silver Medalist, Mark O'Madsen is an RKC.

World Famous Strength Coach Dan John is an RKC.

RKC Quotes

"Kettlebell training will make you a better man.. even if you're a woman. If you don't know how, I'll show you. If you don't want to, I'll make you! " - Pavel Tsatsouline
"The Swings WILL continue until morale improves!" - Banner hanging at Lone Star Kettlebell in Lubbock TX.
"Anyone can swing a Kettlebell, but not everyone knows how to do the Kettlebell swing." - Master RKC Brett Jones
"Strength is a skill, so is endurance, so is flexibility!" - Pavel Tsatsouline

Scott Stevens, RKC & Pavel Tsatouline