Friday, December 19, 2008

Is Your Personal Trainer Qualified to Teach Kettlebell?

A few days ago I ran into an acquaintance of mine that was proud to tell me that she has been working out with Kettlebells. As I probed further I learned that she has joined a boot camp led by personal trainers that are incorporating Kettlebell moves into a boot camp style workout. She attempted to demonstrate some moves with an invisible kettlebell but couldn't quite remember how it went. Then she mentioned how one of the moves really hurt her wrists and forearms.
I asked if the person "teaching" her Kettlebell was a certified Kettlebell Instructor, her response was "Oh Yeah! He's a certified personal trainer!"





Does your personal trainer have the integrity to answer "I don't know" or does he pretend to know it all?





As someone that has taken the time, effort, pain and sacrifice necessary to obtain Kettlebell instructor certification I find this kind of report very frustrating. My acquaintance, like many others, has been led to believe that just because someone is a certified personal trainer they must be qualified to teach Kettlebell. This is like saying certified trainer is qualified to teach martial arts, javelin, discus, golf or any other specialized athletic skill simply because he or she is a Personal trainer.

Unfortunately obtaining Personal Trainer Certification has absolutely zero to do with getting certified as Kettlebell instructor. Furthermore Personal Trainer Certification requires absolutely zero experience with a kettlebell. The exams and reading material that Certified Personal Trainers are required to take to obtain Certification simply do not cover Kettlebell techniques. Some certifications offer continuing education credits for taking a short one to three hour kettlebell class or workshop that familiarizes CPTs with Kettlebells , but this is a far cry from earning Kettlebell Instructor certification.

Just because personal trainers have a basic understanding of how the body works does not mean that they are qualified to teach kettlebell any more than they are qualified to teach a golf swing, martial arts or gymnastics. Sadly there are personal trainers I've witnessed that cannot even demonstrate proper technique for lifting free weights or proper pushups, but this does not stop them from introducing the latest craze into each client's routine despite their lack of skill.

If your personal trainer is trying to teach you Kettlebells here are some questions you should think about
  • Are my kettlebell workouts causing bruising or injury?
  • Does my trainer teach me kettlebell technique or am I expected to pick one up a kettlebell and hit the ground running?
  • Does my Kettlebell instructor have the right drills at the right moment for reinforcing correct technique?
  • Does my trainer start me with low rep perfect basics such as swings and getups or am I expected to jump right into advanced exercises such as high reps of swings, cleans, snatches or clean and jerks?
  • Can my trainer demonstrate safe and effective kettlebell technique with a relatively large KB? Example: Men pressing 1/2 their body weight, women 1/4 their bodyweight. Men snatching a 24kg Kettlebell 100x in 5 minutes.
  • Is my trainer certified as a kettlebell instructor? Can I ask to see the certificate or verify the instructor's certification by the issuing body?
  • Did my trainer actually attend AND pass an instructor certification or just an introductory class/workshop?

Probably the most important mark of a true professional

  • Does your personal trainer have the integrity to answer "I don't know" or does he pretend to know it all?

Let me leave you with these final words from a fellow RKC certified instructor:

"Anyone can swing a kettlebell, but not just anyone can perform a kettlebell swing!"

1 comment:

SG Human Performance said...

Terrific Blog Scott! Man that really is the truth. I currently am enrolled in a kettlebell bootcamp instructed by Dave Whitley and am working towards my RKC. I have seen too many people and personal trainers teaching bad techniques. Keep up the good work.

Did you Know?

Head strength coaches for Cincinnati Bengals and Washington Redskins have taken and passed the RKC.

World Power Lifting Champion Donnie Thompson is an RKC.

World renown physical therapist and creator of the Function Movement Screen, Gray Cook is an RKC.

Strength and Conditioning Coach for the Danish Olympic Team, Kenneth Jay is a Master RKC.

Olympic Silver Medalist, Mark O'Madsen is an RKC.

World Famous Strength Coach Dan John is an RKC.

RKC Quotes

"Kettlebell training will make you a better man.. even if you're a woman. If you don't know how, I'll show you. If you don't want to, I'll make you! " - Pavel Tsatsouline
"The Swings WILL continue until morale improves!" - Banner hanging at Lone Star Kettlebell in Lubbock TX.
"Anyone can swing a Kettlebell, but not everyone knows how to do the Kettlebell swing." - Master RKC Brett Jones
"Strength is a skill, so is endurance, so is flexibility!" - Pavel Tsatsouline

Scott Stevens, RKC & Pavel Tsatouline