Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Building Stronger, Leaner and Healthier Women

One recurring theme at Omaha Elite Kettlebell is women transforming their lives.
Today I'll share three... 




Accelerate Fat Loss and Help make your 40's your glory years!

In 2009 Kathleen "Kelly" Rushlow lead the way the first member of Omaha Elite Kettlebell to have successfully completed her HKC and earned a Hardstyle Kettlebell Certifiied Instructor certificate. She has gone on to press the 24kg (53lb kettlebell) and performs weighted pullups.  Kelly was not always such a bad ass, in her youth her entire lower body was in cast causing severe flexibility and mobility issues that she still combats today.  What makes her accomplishment even sweeter is that Kelly is our most successful weight loss story. She has lost over 120 lbs, 30 of which she lost in her first 4-months.



“I had hit a plateau in my weight loss program, and couldn’t seem to lose any more weight. I was exercising and participating in a variety of classes. I had heard that weight training would help. I really didn’t enjoy using the weight equipment and had tried Body Pump,but it wasn’t for me. I enjoy cardio type classes like step aerobics and Body Attack. Some of the people in my martial arts classes were using kettlebells. So I decided to give Scott’s kettlebell class a try. I was surprised that the class worked me both with weight training and cardio. I had finally found an all-in-one class that I enjoyed. In 4 months I had dropped an extra 30 pounds. Pounds I was having trouble losing! I also gained an added benefit, my abs, arms and legs were getting toned. 

Scott Stevens’ kettlebell class is the most challenging, intensive,well structured, cardiovascular/strength training class that I have ever participated in. A great all-in-one workout! The knowledge, guidance and quality of training provided by Scott is impressive. He has a way of “torturing” that is actually “fun”! He is the first instructor to actually get me to challenge myself and come back wanting more. Scott’s grueling pace coupled with routines that rotate, challenge and expand are never boring.”

Kelly continues to train at Omaha Elite Kettlebell while growing her own clientele. She is a living example of perseverance and to watch her train is to know what HKC Hardstyle is truly about. 





How a Grandma Reversed the Aging Process and Kicked A Policer Officer's Butt!
Pat Loontjer started Kettlebell training at the age of 64. Her Doctor informed her that was losing bone density had poor heart health and was a high health risk. When she began kettlebell training her instructor had to go out and buy a 5lb kettlebell, because the 10lb was too much for her. Over the course of 6-months she progressed to the 20lb kettlebell and at her next doctor's visit she surprised her doctor by improving both her bone density and heart health to the point ... she was ecstatic to learn that she is now consider low risk!  Pat has continued to train once or twice a week and has been able to press the 35lb kettlebell for some time now. This summer while river rafting, Pat was swimming along side her son, a young police officer who was splashing and taunting her from the safety of his inner tube. "Come-on use those Kettlebell muscles" he said... and as the saying goes, be careful what you ask for because she promptly push pressed his inner tube out of the water flipping her son into the river with a satisfying splash.  Pat's favorite technique is the Kettlebell snatch because the lockout reminds her of a victory pose and she love's the way kettlebell allows her to keep up with over  a dozen grandchildren!




Julie Victory PoseLose 20lbs and Win Your first 5k!
Julie is a one tough mother of two in her thirties who started kettlebell training 2 years ago. She has lost 20lbs and gained impressive amounts of strength and lean muscle. She recently finished in the top of her age her age in her first ever 5k run and earned her HKC Hardstyle Kettlebell Instructor Certification in August 2011.  She went from barely hanging on the pullup bar to performing strict deadhang pullups, weighted single leg squats, performing 100 snatched in 5minutes with the 14kg and performing getups and presses with the 44lb kettlebell.  Julie teaches classes on Friday mornings and continues to improve her strength and skill. 
"I have not been doing any serious running. The bulk of my training for the past year and a half has been through Kettlebell workouts, typically 3x per week. Recently, at my first 5k, I started out near the back of a group of 200  and found myself consistently passing other runners as I went. Ultimately, I finished strong with a good sprint.
Following the race, they were announcing the top finishers per age category, and I was so surprised to hear my name called!
When I look at my training with Kettlebells from the past 18 months, I recognize the skills and strength that I have gained, which allowed me to run my first 5k with ease.
For runners, Kettlebell is the perfect compliment." -Julie Madott Omaha, NE

No comments:

Did you Know?

Head strength coaches for Cincinnati Bengals and Washington Redskins have taken and passed the RKC.

World Power Lifting Champion Donnie Thompson is an RKC.

World renown physical therapist and creator of the Function Movement Screen, Gray Cook is an RKC.

Strength and Conditioning Coach for the Danish Olympic Team, Kenneth Jay is a Master RKC.

Olympic Silver Medalist, Mark O'Madsen is an RKC.

World Famous Strength Coach Dan John is an RKC.

RKC Quotes

"Kettlebell training will make you a better man.. even if you're a woman. If you don't know how, I'll show you. If you don't want to, I'll make you! " - Pavel Tsatsouline
"The Swings WILL continue until morale improves!" - Banner hanging at Lone Star Kettlebell in Lubbock TX.
"Anyone can swing a Kettlebell, but not everyone knows how to do the Kettlebell swing." - Master RKC Brett Jones
"Strength is a skill, so is endurance, so is flexibility!" - Pavel Tsatsouline

Scott Stevens, RKC & Pavel Tsatouline